I am going to suggest something that many people will find weird.
That is to become friends with the eminent dead.
Before you call me crazy, let me explain what I mean by befriending famous and respected dead people.
The idea behind this is, many of the world’s greatest thinkers and leaders are people of the past.
To go through life and not study their workings, life philosophies and adventures will only end up hurting one person. That one person is you.
They went to great measures and produced work so that you may benefit from it and live a more productive and fulfilled life. But you must make the effort to seek the knowledge.
There’s a good reason their work has stood the test of time. It’s wisdom that is timeless and always applicable. Somethings are human nature and will continue to repeat for as long as we are alive on this earth.
This article will introduce you to some of Hazrat Ali’s Quotes of wisdom. Inshallah it will help some of you be guided to living a better life. I’ve learned a lot researching and reading his works. He was a remarkable man.
If you can’t read this article right now or would prefer a PDF version then just click on the button below.
Table Of Contents
- Hazrat Ali Wisdom and Knowledge
- Hazrat Ali Quotes About Death
- Hazrat Ali Quotes About Forgivness and Sins
- Hazrat Ali Friendship, Love and Marriage.
Scroll To Bottom To See Sources:
Hazrat Ali Wisdom and Knowledge
1. The biggest shame is to mock at something that you have in yourselfImam Ali (AS)
This is actually a common psychological tendency called projection. We emphasize traits we dislike in ourselves to other people. We are then driven crazy by these people since their qualities are the ones we try to suppress.
The whole point of projection is to offload feelings that we don’t want to feel. So next time you’re quick to mock someone answer honestly if it’s something you’re insecure about.
2. Two things define you: Your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything.
3. People act like mirrors; friends reflect your good qualities and enemies your faults.
4. Through patience, great things are accomplished.
5. Incapability is a catastrophe; endurance is bravery; abstinence is riches; self-restraint is a shield (against sin); and the best companion is submission (to Allah’s will)Hazrat Ali
6. Miserliness is shame; cowardice is a defect; poverty disables an intelligent man from arguing his case; and a destitute person is a stranger in his home town.
I believe Hazrat Ali in this quote is saying you must help yourself before you can help others. Be in a position wherein your not relying on others for financial help because you lose power to spread your message. “Poverty disables an intelligent man”.
7. Knowledge is a venerable estate; good manners are new dresses; and thinking is clear mirror.
8. He who adopts greed as a habit devalues himself; he who discloses his hardship agrees to humiliation; and he who allows his tongue to overpower his soul debases the soul.Ali Ibn Abi Talib
9. When this world advances towards anyone (with its favours) it attributes to him other’s good; and when it turns away from him it deprives him of his own good.
10. The consequence of fear is disappointment and of bashfulness is frustration. Opportunity passes away like the cloud. Therefore, make use of good opportunities.Hazrat Ali Quotes (pbuh)
See Related Post On Dealing With Stress, Fear, and Anxiety.
11. The perfect jurist of Islam is he who does not let people lose hope from the mercy of Allah, does not make them despondent of Allah’s kindness and does not make them feel safe from Allah’s punishment.
12. If someone is quick in saying about people what they dislike, they speak about him that about which they have no knowledge.
13. The tongue of the wise man is behind his heart, and the heart of the fool is behind his tongue.
14. Blessed is the person who kept in mind the next life, acted so as to be able to render account, remained content with what sufficed him and remained pleased with Allah.
15. The best of riches is the abandonement of desires.Imam Ali (AS) Quotes
This quote is powerful. The reason for a lot of our misery is because we like to compare and see what car is in our neighbor’s driveway. We set out materialistic expectations and when they aren’t met we feel inadequate. This is not conducive for a healthy life. Don’t get me wrong, there’s no shame in wanting a nice car or watch, but when that is the goal or ultimate desire you won’t be fulfilled. I believe focusing on process and having the most positive impact you can possibly have will give you as Hazrat Ali says, “the best of riches”.
16. The worth of a man is according to his courage, his truthfulness is according to his balance of temper, his valour is according to his self-respect and his chasteness is according to his sense of shame.
17. Victory is by determination; determination is by the turning over of thoughts; and thoughts are formed by guarding secrets.
18. Fear the attack of a noble person when he is hungry, and that of an ignoble person when he is satiated.
19. The hearts of the people are like wild beasts. Whoever tames them, they would pounce upon him.
20. The sin that displeases you is better in the view of Allah than the virtue which makes you proud.Amir al-mu’minin Quote
21. When you get (only) small favors do not push them away through lack of gratefulness.
22. Whenever a person conceals a thing in his heart it manifests itself through unintentional words from his tongue and (in) the expressions of his face.
23. O my son, you should avoid making friends with a fool because he may intend to benefit you but may harm you; you should avoid making friends with a miser because he will run away from you when you need him most; you should avoid making friends with a sinful person because he will sell you for nought; and you should avoid making friends with a liar because he is like a mirage, making you feel far things near and near things far.
24. He who gallops with loose rein collides with death.
25. Generosity is that which is by one’s own initiative, because giving on being asked is either out of self-respect or to avoid rebuke.Imam Ali (AS)
26. There is no wealth like wisdom, no destitution like ignorance, no inheritance like refinement and no support like consultation.
27. Keep walking in your sickness as long as you can (source).
28. Fear! Fear! By Allah, He has hidden your sins so much so as though He has forgiven.
29. The most capable of pardoning is he who is the most powerful to punish.
30. Contentment is wealth that does not diminish.
31. Whoever warns you is like one who gives you good tidings.
32. Whoever places himself as a leader of the people should commence with educating his own self before educating others; and his teaching should be by his own conduct before teaching by the tongue.
33. The person who teaches and instructs his own self is more entitled to esteem then he who teaches and instructs others.
34. As intelligence increases, speech decreases.
35. If what you aim at does not come about then do not worry as to what you were.
36. Time wears our bodies, renews desires, brings death nearer and takes away aspirations. Whoever is successful with it encounters grief and whoever misses its favors also undergoes hardships.
37. You will not find an ignorant person but at one extreme or the other (i.e. a person who neglects or a person who exaggerates).
38. With wealth a strange land is a homeland, while with destitution even a homeland is a strange land.
39. Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.
40. A man’s measure is his will.
Further shows Hazrat Ali’s intelligence. It’s reminds me of another saying, “he who wants it the most wins”. How true. A person when no desire or fortitude will never achieve that which he has his eyes set on. Your goals must take hold of you and you must become obsessed for it to become your reality.
41. The tongue is a beast; if it is let loose, it devours.
42. The people of the world are like travellers who are being carried while they are asleep.
43. Be generous but not extravagant; be thrifty but not miserly.
44. Do not feel ashamed for giving little because refusal is smaller than that.
45. Nothing hurts a good soul and a kind heart more than to live amongst people who cannot understand it.Hazrat Ali Quote on Loneliness (source)
45. Woman is a scorpion whose sting is sweet.
46. If you don’t know a thing never hesitate or feel ashamed to learn it.
47. When the world pushes you to your knees, you’re in the perfect position to pray
50. See the bad inside yourself, and see the good inside others
If you seek the bad in yourself you are given the chance to improve and become better. Do this over a course of 10-20 years and you’ll be among the most wise in your age cohort.
51. Do not criticize too much. Too much criticism leads to hate and a bad behavior.
52. Don’t hate what you don’t know, for the greater part of knowledge consists what you don’t know.
If you are met with a greeting, give better greetings in return. If a hand of help is extended to you, do a better favour in return, although the credit would remain with the one who was first.
55. Dislike in yourself what you dislike in others.
How important. Ask yourself what characteristics will lead you to success by studying successful people or people who you look up to you. Mimic and imitate those behaviors until they become your own. The other side of the coin reads, look at traits you despise and then avoid these behaviors.
56. “Smile even if your heart is dripping blood” and in another quote Ali says, “I didn’t see anyone who smiled more than Rasul-Allah (Pbuh)”
57. Don’t follow majority follow the truth.
58. A wise man always has something to say, whereas a fool always needs to say something.
59. Courtesy costs nothing, but buys everything.
60. Patience ensures victory.
61. Backbiting is the attempt of one who is incapable of doing better himself.
62. Patience is of two kinds, patience over what pains you, and patience against what you covet.
63. When proven wrong, the wise corrects himself & ignorant argues.
64. No Mirror can reflect a picture of a human as best as his attitude and way of Speaking do. – Imam Ali (AS)
65. O my son, learn four things and (a further) four things from me. Nothing will harm you if you practice them. That the richest of riches is intelligence; the biggest destitution is foolishness; the wildest wildness is vanity and the best achievement is goodness of the moral character.
Hazrat Ali Quotes About Death
66. Gone Are those who pile wealth, even while they are alive. But those who are knowledgeable stay as long as there is night & day: although their bodies may be dead, but their knowledge is alive in the hearts.
See Related Post: 50 Islamic Quotes About Death
67. Charity is an effective cure, and the actions of people in their present life will be before their eyes in the next life.
68. All matters are subject to destiny, so much so that sometimes death results from effort.
69. A person’s true patience is shown in a time of anger.
70. Rendering relief to the grief-stricken and providing comfort in hardship are among the means of atonement for great sins.Imam Ali Quotes on Death
72. Don’t talk about your good health in front of sick. Don’t talk about your riches in front of poor.
73. When you are running away from the world and death is approaching, there is no question of delay in the encounter.
74. Our enemies are not Jews or Christians, but our enemies are our ignorance.
75.The breath of a man is a step towards his death.
76. He who trusts the world, the world betrays him.
77. There is no rest for the person who has envy, and there is no love for the person who has bad manners.
78. You are master of what you say until you utter it, once you deliver it, you are its captive. Preserve your tongue as you do your gold and money. One word could bring disgrace and the termination of a bliss.
79. Don’t show pleasure in somebody’s downfall, for you have no knowledge of what the future holds in store for you.
80. Aim to live in this world without allowing the world to live inside you because when a boat sits on water, it sails perfectly, but when water enters the boat, it sinks.
This reminds me of the John F. Kennedy quote, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”. So, the lesson of this quote, go out and have an impact be a force for positive change. Don’t leave this world with no lasting impact.
81. The nourishment of body is food, while the nourishment of the soul is feeding others.
Hazrat Ali Quotes on Forgiveness and Sins.
82. Try to be honest for Allah is the helper of honest people, Avoid telling lies since it will ruin your faith. Know that honest people are on the verge of nobility and honor, while liars area on the verge of collapse and destruction. The best revenge is to improve yourself.
83. The best revenge is to improve yourself.
84. If one night you see someone committing a sin, tomorrow don’t look at him as a sinner. He may have repented during the night and you did not know.
85. The best deed of a great man is to forgive and forget.Hazrat Ali on Forigveness
86. The worst sin is that which the sinner takes lightly.
87. When you gain power over your adversary pardon him by way of thanks for being able to overpower him.
88. Every mischief monger cannot even be reproved.
89. Fear the sins that you commit in secret because the witness of those sins is the Judge Himself.
90. Forgive the shortcomings of people of virtue and honor because when they fall into error Allah raises them up.Source
Hazrat Ali Quotes About Friendship, Love, and Marriage
91. Woman is a delicate creature with strong emotions who has been created by the Almighty God to shoulder responsibility for educating society and moving toward perfection. God created woman as symbol of His own beauty and to give solace to her partner and her family
92. A brother is like gold and a friend is like diamond. If gold cracks you can melt it and make it just like it was before. If a diamond cracks, it can never be like it was before.
93. It is easier to turn a mountain into dust than to create love in a heart that filled with hatred.
94. Keep in touch with the one who forgotten you, and forgive those who wronged you, and do not stop praying for the best for those who love you.
95. A friend cannot be considered a friend until he is tested in three occasions: in time of need, behind your back, and after your death,
96. Meet people in such a manner that if you die they should weep for you and if you live they should long for you.
97. The most helpless of all men is he who cannot find a few brothers during his life, but still more helpless. is he who finds such a brother but loses him..
98. He who is abandoned by near ones is dear to remote ones.
99. A lack of friends means strangeness.
100. It’s never the value of water but thirst, it’s never the value of life but death and it’s never about the friendship but trust.
I hope you enjoyed these islamic quotes by Hazrat Ali.
Du’a Kumail, trans. N. Husayn Mardi, Chehel Sotoon Theological School: Iran, 1989.