The life of this world is made up of three days: yesterday has gone with all that was done; tomorrow, you may never reach; but today is for you so do what you should do today. Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabir
Death is certain for every one of us. (surprise).
It’s something we all know, but we often forget. We take life for granted and get caught up in the business of life.
To be constantly reminded of your mortality can be very powerful tool if used correctly. EM Foster, an English novelist once said, “Death destroys a man, but the idea of death saves him.”
We often get sidetracked and lose focus of what’s truly important. We fall into the trap of believing that we’re invisible and that death is miles away.
The truth is it isn’t and by thinking about death habitually creates priority giving you perspective. It enables you too focus on what’s important.
In Islam, we believe life on this earth is temporary and after death is where it really begins. Don’t forget this. There will come a moment when every person will be confronted with their intentions and deeds. The good and the bad. By then it will be too late to do the things you should’ve done today and Allah will render his judgement.
So here’s a reminder of bunch of Islamic quotes about life and death compiled from various hadiths, The Quran, and other sources. Enjoy.
Beautiful Islamic quotes about life
If you find a quote that resonates well with you, I recommend writing it down on a piece of paper so you can reap the most benefits from it.
Here’s short and beautiful Islamic quotes about life:
- Al-Hasan al-Basri says: “When love of this world enters the heart, fear of the Hereafter exits from it. Beware of worldy distractions, for no servant opens a door of this world without several doors of works for the Hereafter being shut for him.”
- All Life Is Sacred in Islam (believers and non-believers): “Thus, We decreed upon the children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless as legal punishment for murder or for corruption in the land, it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one soul, it is as if he had saved mankind entirely.” Surat Al-Ma’idah verse 32
3. The Prophet (PBUH) said, “O Allah! There is no life worth living except the life of the Hereafter.
4. Ali (Ra) said: “The thing I fear for you the most is following desires and having hopes for this worldly life. Following desires blocks one from the truth, & having worldy hopes makes one forget the Hereafter. This worldly life is ending but the Hereafter is approaching & each of them has its children. So be children of the hereafter, not children of this world, for today we have the opportunity to do good deeds whereas tomorrow maybe too late.” (Bukhari)
5. “Indeed, to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth; He gives life and causes death. And you have not besides Allah any protector or any helper.” (Surah Taubah verse 116)
6. “Do not kill the soul which Allah has made sacred except by right of justice. Whoever is killed unjustly, We have given his heir authority, but let him not exceed the limits in taking life.” Surat Al-Isra verse33
7. The seekers of two concerns are never satisfied: the seeker of knowledge and the seeker of the world.
Source: Al-Muʻjam al-Kabir 10239, Grade: Sahih
8. The best of you are those who, when they are seen, inspire others to remember Allah Almighty.
Source: Sunan Ibn Majah 4119, Grade: Sahih li ghayri
9. Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him speak goodness or remain silent. Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhari 6110, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi
10. Follow a bad deed with a good deed and it will erase it. Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 1987, Grade: Sahih
11.The believer does not taunt others, he does not curse others, he does not use profanity, and he does not abuse others.
Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 1977, Grade: Sahih
12. Verily, part of perfection in Islam is for a person to leave what does not concern him. Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 2318, Grade: Sahih li ghayri
Related Post: 25 Quotes From Islam On Family
13. In a narration, the Prophet (pbuh) said, “Allah says, If he thinks good of me, he will have it. And if he thinks evil of me, he will have it.” Musnad Aḥmad 8833, Grade: Sahih
14. The most complete of the believers in faith are those with the most excellent character, and the best of you are the best in behavior to their women. Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 1162, Grade: Sahih
15. Every night ask yourself. have you taken a step closer to Allah or a step further away? (Article on Duas for Forgiveness)
Islamic quotes about death
16. Death is not the biggest disaster in life. The biggest disaster in life is when our fear of Allah dies when we are still alive.
17. “And those who believe and do righteous deeds – We will surely remove from them their misdeeds and will surely reward them according to the best of what they used to do” (Surah Ankabut verse 7)
18. “Do not abuse the dead, for they have reached what they put forward.”
Source: Sahih Al-Bukhari 1329, Grade: Sahih
19. “Though we know death is certain, we have not prepared ourselves for it. Though we know paradise is definite, we have not worked for it. Though we know the hell fire is certain, we have not feared it. So why are you delighted? What are you waiting for? Death is the first visitor from the Almighty bringing good or evil tidings… so get closer to your Lord!”“Do not abuse the dead, for they have reached what they put forward.”
Source: Sahih Al-Bukhari 1329, Grade: Sahih
20. Mention what is good about your dead and refrain from speaking about their evil.
Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhi 1019, Grade: Sahih
21. “When carried to his grave, a dead person is followed by three, two of which return (after his burial) & one remains with him: his relative, his property, & his deeds follow him; relatives & his property go back while his deeds remain with him.” (Bukhari Vol. 8 : No. 521)
22. On that day all sovereignty will belong to Allah: He will judge between them; then those who have faith and do righteous deeds will be in gardens of bliss, (Surah Hajj verse 56)
23. Then, on the Day of Resurrection, He will disgrace them, and say, ‘Where are My “partners” for whose sake you used to defy [Allah]?’ Those who were given knowledge will say, ‘Indeed today disgrace and distress pursue the faithless.’ (Surah Nahl verse 27)
24. Indeed your Lord will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that about which they used to differ.(Surah Sajdah verse 25)
25. “Wherever you may be, death will overtake you, even if you should be within towers of lofty construction…”
26. Day of Judgement quote “Everyone shall taste death. And only on the day of Resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full. And whoever is removed away from the fire and admitted to Paradise he indeed is successful. The life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception (a deceiving thing).” (Surah Al-Imran verse 175)
27. “Whoever loves to meet Allah, Allah loves to meet him, and whoever hates to meet Allah, Allah hates to meet him.” It was said to him: “O Messenger of Allah, does hating to meet Allah mean hating to meet death? For all of us hate death.” He said: “No. Rather that is only at the moment of death. But if he is given the glad tidings of the mercy and forgiveness of Allah, he loves to meet Allah and Allah loves to meet him; and if he is given the tidings of the punishment of Allah, he hates to meet Allah and Allah hates to meet him.”
28. Let none of you wish for death. If he is righteous then he might increase his good deeds, and if he is sinful then he might repent. Source: Sahih Bukhari 6808, Grade: Sahih
29. Wherever you may be, death will overtake you, even if you should be within towers of lofty construction. But if good comes to them, they say, “This is from Allah “; and if evil befalls them, they say, “This is from you.” Say, “All [things] are from Allah .” So what is [the matter] with those people that they can hardly understand any statement? (Surah An Nisa verse 78)
30. “Work for this world as if you will live forever and work for the here-after as if you will die tomorrow.” ― Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib
Life is short, don’t take it for granted. Go hug someone in your family.
I hope this article was able to teach you at least one thing, we want to encourage learning and inshallah Allah will grant us success.
Please consider signing up for our newsletter and we’ll continue to send you articles, quotes, duas right into your inbox so we can continue this learning process.