This article covers 30 Islamic quotes on mothers which will emphasize the role and importance of all mothers in Islam.
Contrary to the belief portrayed in the media that women are oppressed, Islam actually teaches that Mothers are held with the high regard. In quote 12 which covers a hadith of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) that Mothers are 3x more deserving of good than fathers.
30 Islamic Quotes On Mothers:
1. “Heaven lies beneath the feet of mothers”. (Prophet of Islam, may peace be upon him) Musnad al-Shihab 119; al-Jame Vol. 2 Page 231
2. “And your Lord has commanded that you shall not serve any but Him and goodness to your parents.”(17:23)
3. It takes some one really brave to be a mother, someone strong to raise a child and someone special to love someone more than herself.
4. “And We have enjoined man in respect of his parents– his mother bears him with faintings upon faintings and his weaning takes two years– saying: Be grateful to Me and to both your parents; to Me is the eventual coming. And if they contend with you that you should associate with Me what you have no knowledge of, do not obey them, and keep company with them in this world kindly…”(31:14-15)
5. “To look affectionately and kindly at one’s father and mother is devotion.”
6. “…Mothers play a great role in building a generation. The better a mother is at raising her children, the more successfully the Ummah is built and the more successful it is at producing heroes. You hardly ever see a great man except that a great woman is behind him who left some of her traits in his personality by way of the milk from which he was fed and the warm embrace in which he sought refuge.” Sheikh Abdullah Azzam, Rahimahullah
7. “God’s satisfaction lies in the consent of parents, and His wrath in their wrath.”
8. Lets Respect, Love and Care for our mothers everyday. (Dr. Bilal Philips)
9. “If you wish God to grant you a long life, make your parents happy.” (Imam Sadiq)
10. “We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents; in pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth”
11. Abdullah ibn Amr related that the Messenger of Allah said: The major sins are to believe that Allah has partners, to disobey one’s parents, to commit murder, and to bear false witness (Bukhari, Muslim
12. A man came to the Seal of the Prophets and said: “O Prophet of God! Guide me, to whom should I be good in order to benefit completely from my good deed?”
He said: “Be good to your mother.” He asked: “Next to her?”
The Prophet repeated: “Be good to your mother.” He said again: “And next to her?”
The Prophet answered: “To your mother.”
The man said: To what other person should be good?”
The Prophet said: “To your father.”
13. “My treasures in this world are my grandmother and mother, and I must fulfill my responsibilities to them and treat them well. Nobody can do this but me.”
14. You can be a billionaire but you can never payback the favors upon you by your mother.
Check Out This Similar Post On 25 Islamic Quotes On Family.
15. You mother is a door of mercy that Allah opened for you don’t close it.
16. And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: “my lord! bestow on them thy mercy even as they cherished me in childhood.” (Quran 17:24)
17. “It is your mother’s right towards you that you should remember that she carried you in her womb for several months and nourished you with the sap of her life. She employed all her essence to keep and protect you. She did not care if she herself went hungry, while you were fed to satiety; or to go thirsty herself, while your thirst was quenched; or to have no clothes, while you were well-covered; or to stay in the hot sun, while you were sheltered; She ignored her sweet sleep and tolerated the pain of sleeplessness for your sake. She protected you against the heat of summer and cold of winter. She bore all that pain in order to have you, and you may have her. You should know that you are unable to thank your mother appropriately unless God helps you and grants you the favour and ability to repay her.”
18. When your angry with your parents, imagine a life without them.
19. “A man came to the Prophet (pbuh) asking his permission to take part in Jihad. The Prophet (pbuh) asked him, “Are your parents alive?” He replied in the affirmative. The Prophet (pbuh) said to him, “Then exert yourself in their service.” Sahih al-Bukhari; Vol. 4, Book 52, Hadith 248
20. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) has said: “The look of a child towards his parents out of love for them is an act of worship.”
Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, Page 80
21. “I enjoin each one to honor his mother, I enjoin each one to honor his mother, I enjoin each one to honor his mother(three times), I enjoin each one to honor his guardian who is taking care of him, even if he is causing him some annoyance.” Sunan Ibn Majah; Vol. 5, Book 33, Hadith 3657
22. “The Prophet (pbuh) said, “The biggest of Al-Ka`ba’ir (the great sins) are (1) to join others as partners in worship with Allah, (2) to murder a human being, (3) to be undutiful to one’s parents (4) and to make a false statement,” or said, “to give a false witness.” Sahih al-Bukhari; Vol. 9, Book 83, Hadith 10
23. Being good to them means to accompany them in a good manner and never to wait for them to ask you for what they need.” Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, Page 79
24. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) said: “One who desires a long life and an increase in livelihood should exhibit goodness towards his parents and establish bonds of kinship (with his relatives).” Kanzul `Ummal, Volume 16, Page 475
25. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his family) said: “Travel even for two years to do good to your parents. Journey (even) for one year to establish bonds of kinship (with your relatives).”
Biharul Anwar, Volume 74, Page 83
26. Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him and be good to parents.
Surah An-Nisa verse 36
27. Don’t neglect your duties to your mother.
“Verily, Allah has forbidden you from neglecting your duty to your mothers. Sahih Bukhari 5630, Grade: Sahih”
28. A Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.
29 A child’s first teacher is its mother.
30. A mother’s love & favours are priceless. The truth is whatever we do will never be equal to the sacrifice & compassion mothers have shown.
I hope you enjoyed this article and learned something new.
Now, I was scrolling through some articles when researching Islamic quotes and saw something I would like to address mentioning how all mothers are not as pure as the Quran states them to be. Why should a child who was not given the attention from their parents show respect.
This was disheartening and I would like to apologize if you were deprived of such love that there’s is a silver lining. And that is when you’re a parent yourself you won’t have to be the same. In fact, you’ll probably 10x better than you would’ve been otherwise since you have the knowledge and awareness to not take this relationship for granted. You can be more caring and tuned to the suffering of others based off the hurt you felt and this is a powerful motivator.
Allah knows best and inshallah will give you multiple rewards for the adversity you faced. Now, It’s easier said than done, but learn to forgive, practice self-love and acceptance and use this energy to be a force of good and positive change. There’s always a seed of blessing in experiencing such lows – you just need to tap into it. The Qur’an is a book of guidance and even if your parents weren’t the best to you, you have to be better and show respect still. The Qur’an doesn’t make a condition – if your parents are good to you then you have to be good also. No one’s parents are perfect, they are also human and make mistakes but you have to listen to the Qur’an which is asking you to be the bigger person. You can choose to fight fire with fire but where would that lead you?
Let’s not take time for granted on this earth while we are here. If your a parent tell your children your proud of them and see the smile on their faces.
Small gestures go a long way.