One of the hardest truths of life is knowing people we love will die, people we need die, people we don’t know die, and eventually, we will die ourselves. It’s a sad truth to realize.
In the Qur’an, specifically Surah Baqarah Ayat 156 it states, “Who, when disaster strikes them, say, “Indeed we belong to Allah, and indeed to Him we will return.”
This is a great reminder of our mortality and if used correctly can help redirect your attention and effort towards the actual things that matter. We often forget how limited our time on earth is and fall into distractions.
In Islam death is not as the termination of life, rather the continuation of life in another form. This life was created by Allah as a testing ground for the afterlife. And with death this test comes to an end. All pencils down. No more writing.
It is our responsibility that before the test is over we have done all that is necessary to get an A. And just like a test, this is done independently, there is no cheating.
Here at Myislam we compiled together 51 quotes about death and life and we hope it provides some you some inspiration and guidance on what’s truly important. If you found this article useful please remember to share it.
51 Islamic Quotes on Death:
1. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji ‘ un.
Verily, from Allah we came and to him we return.
2. “Whoever loves to meet Allah, Allah loves to meet him, and whoever hates to meet Allah, Allah hates to meet him.” (Source: Sahih Muslim 157, Grade: Sahih)
3. “I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death and I hate to disappoint him.” (Source: Sahih Bukhari 6137, Grade: Sahih)
4. None of you should wish for death because of a calamity that has afflicted him, but if he must do something he should say: O Allah, keep me alive so long as life is good for me and cause me to die if death is better for me. (Source: Sahih Bukhari 5437, Grade: Sahih)
5. Every soul will taste death, and you will only be given your [full] compensation on the Day of Resurrection. So he who is drawn away from the Fire and admitted to Paradise has attained [his desire]. And what is the life of this world except the enjoyment of delusion.(Quran 3:185)
6. Let none of you wish for death. If he is righteous then he might increase his good deeds, and if he is sinful then he might repent. (Source: Sahih Bukhari 6808, Grade: Sahih)
You can find an article with 11 Powerful Duas For Forgiveness
7. “Paradise will be brought near to the righteous, not far, (It will be said), this is what you were promised – for every returner (to Allah) and keeper (of His covenant) who feared the most merciful unseen and came with a heart returning (in repentance).”
8. When you see a funeral procession, then stand up for it until it passes or the deceased is placed in the grave. Source: Sahih Bukhari 1245, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi
9. Verily, you only stand to glorify Allah, who is the receiver of souls. (Source: Musnad Ahhmad 6394)
10. And this worldly life is not but diversion and amusement. And indeed, the home of the Hereafter(Quran 29:64)
11. A moment of patience in a moment of anger prevents a thousand moment of regret. (Ali ibn Abi Talib)
12. Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: “If Allah wants to do good to somebody, He afflicts him with trials” (Sahih Bukhari: Volume 7, Book 70, Number 548)
13. To the world, you may be a billionaire, a celebrity or an icon, But to the Angel of Death, you’re just another name on the list.
14. Death can come at any time, so in order to die as a Muslim, you must live at all times as a Muslim. There is no time for later.
15. Death is not the biggest disaster in life. The biggest disaster in life is, When our fear of Allah dies when we are still alive.
16. The Worst of our Faults is our interest in other people’s Faults. (Ali Ibn abi Talib (RA)
17. And behold! a bier passed by Muhammad (pbuh), and he stood up; and it was said to him, “This is the bier of a Jew.” He responded, “Was it not the holder of a soul, from which we should take example and fear?”
Do not speak ill of the dead.
When the bier of anyone passeth by thee, whether Jew, Christian, or Muslim, rise to thy feet.”
18. The Faithful do not die; perhaps they become translated from this perishable world to the world of eternal existences.
19. “My Lord! You have surely granted me authority and taught me the interpretation of dreams. ˹O˺ Originator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Guardian in this world and the Hereafter. Allow me to die as one who submits and join me with the righteous.” (Quran 12:101)
20. Death is a blessing to a Muslim. Remember and speak well of your dead, and refrain from speaking ill of them.
21. Life without ALLAH is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point.
22. Everybody wants to change the world but nobody wants to chance
23. The world (dunya) is not the resting place, it is the testing place.
24. And verily, it is We Who give life, and who give death: it is We Who remain Inheritors (after all else passes away). (Chapter 15, verse 23)
25. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said,“If the Day of Judgment erupts while you are planting a new tree, carry on and plant it.”
This quote is very powerful, it highlights the concept of sadaqah jariyah. To continue planting your seeds so even after your death you can reap the benefits of your due diligence. What legacy are you leaving behind? What good are you teaching your kids? Are you providing to charity and helping others.
26. When you become excessively dependent on someone, the Almighty will either remove or detach you from that person just to show you where your strength lies. Yes, we all need people in our lives but never as much as we need the Almighty! He’s the only One who won’t disappoint! – Mufti Menk
The death of a loved one is a reminder to us. After all, life is a preparation for the day you will meet your Maker. – Mufti Menk
27. ˹He is the One˺ Who created life and death in order to test which of you is best in deeds. And He is the Almighty, All-Forgiving. (Quran 67:2)
28. “…and if you had seen when the unjust shall be in the agonies of death and the angels shall spread forth their hands: Give up your souls; today shall you be recompensed with an ignominious chastisement…” (Quran 6:93)
29. On the day that every soul shall find present what it has done of good and what it has done of evil, it shall wish that between it and that (evil) there were a long duration of time; and Allah makes you to be cautious of (retribution from) Himself; and Allah is Compassionate to the servants. (Quran 3:30)
30. Every self will be tasting of death. And We try you with evil and charity (or: good) for a temptation, and to Us you will be returned.(Quran 21:35)
31. Verily Allah knows those among you who keep back (men) and those who say to their brethren, “Come along to us”, but come not to the fight except for just a little while. (Quran 31:18)
32. O soul that are at rest! Return to your Lord, well-pleased (with him), well-pleasing (Him), So enter among My servants, And enter into My garden. (89:27-30)
33. The martyrs are of five kinds: one who dies of plague, one who dies of stomach disease, one who drowns, one who dies under debris, and one who dies in the path of Allah the Exalted. (Source: Sahih Bukhari 2674, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi)
This is saying, martyrdom is not attained by rushing foolishly into an unnecessary battle.
34. Gabriel, peace be upon him, came to me to give the good news that anyone from my nation who dies without associating partners with Allah will enter Paradise. I said, “Even if he commits adultery and theft?” The Prophet said: Even if he commits adultery and theft. (Source: Sahih al-Bukhari 1180, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi)
35. The Hellfire is your residence, wherein you will remain except as Allah wills. Verily, your Lord is wise and knowing.
(Surat al-An’am 6:128)
36. Ibn ‘Umar used to say, “If you survive till the evening, do not expect to be alive in the morning, and if you survive till the morning, do not expect to be alive in the evening, and take from your health for your sickness, and (take) from your life for your death.” [Al-Bukhari #6416]
37. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Remember frequently the thing that cuts off pleasures,” i.e. death.” [at-Tirmidhi]
Related Post: 11 Quotes About Women (Are they equal to men in islam)
38. Ya Allah, let my death only reach me when you have forgiven my sins and you are pleased with me.
39. Life is not guaranteed at all but death is absolutely guaranteed upon all, yet we still prepare for life more than death.
40. In the end, it’s just me, my lord and my deeds.
41. Abu Hurayra reported the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Race to good actions as fast as you can. What are you waiting for except delayed poverty, oppressive wealth, debilitating illness, dottering senility, a swift death or the Dajjal? Or are you waiting for an unseen evil, or the Last Hour? The Last Hour will be most bitter and terrible.” [at-Tirmidhi]
42. People go to Allah after death but a wise person goes to Allah before his death.
43. Today you own the pieces of land but tomorrow a land will own you.
44. Life is a journey from Allah to Allah.
45. Put aside your pride, set down your arrogance and remember your grave.
46. Doesn’t matter how rich you are, you can’t bribe the angel of death.
47. Death does not see your age, gender, nationality or religion. It will come unexpectedly so be prepared always.
48. Believe in it, there is a life after death, there is accountability after death. And this sense of accountability frightens everybody.
49. “Allah causes you to live, then causes you to die; then He will assemble you for the Day of Resurrection, about which there is no doubt, but most of the people do not know.” (Quran, 45:24-26)
50. “Indeed, the death from which you flee – indeed, it will meet you. Then you will be returned to the Knower of the unseen and the witnessed, and He will inform you about what you used to do.”(Quran 62:8)
51. Today you own the pieces of land but tomorrow a land will own you.
Life is too short and for some it’s extra short. What’s one thing you can do that will make someone else in your life happy or smile. It’s often surprising how little effort it requires but how big of a difference it can make.
Be of service to others and help unselfishly. In the end you will be held accountable for your actions so why not be a positive optimistic person. What do you have to lose?
Harness the power Sadaqah jariyah. Like how Warren Buffet compounds his money and became a billionaire, compound your rewards so that on the day of judgement you can be a billionaire of positive deeds. This will serve you better than having all the riches in the world.
Jazakallah for reading, may Allah Grant us all success.