The Story of Al-Yasa (Elisha)
Al-Yasa, also referred to as Elisha or Elyas’ (pbuh) is regarded as a Prophet in Judaism, Christianity, and in Islam.
Al Yasa was one of the Children of Israel descendent from Yusuf ibn Ya’qoob ibn is-haaq ibn Ibraaheem al-khaleel.
Allah sent down Al-yasa as a successor to Prophet Elijah (pbuh) to help guide the children of Israel. He lived among his people and called upon them to obey the laws and commands of Allah.
Not much is known about his life, but the Quran speaks highly of him in the two ayah he is mentioned.
Allah says in Surah Al-An’am Ayat 84-87:
84. وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُۥٓ إِسْحَٰقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ ۚ كُلًّا هَدَيْنَا ۚ وَنُوحًا هَدَيْنَا مِن قَبْلُ ۖ وَمِن ذُرِّيَّتِهِۦ دَاوُۥدَ وَسُلَيْمَٰنَ وَأَيُّوبَ وَيُوسُفَ وَمُوسَىٰ وَهَٰرُونَ ۚ وَكَذَٰلِكَ نَجْزِى ٱلْمُحْسِنِينَ
85. وَزَكَرِيَّا وَيَحْيَىٰ وَعِيسَىٰ وَإِلْيَاسَ ۖ كُلٌّ مِّنَ ٱلصَّٰلِحِينَ
86. وَإِسْمَٰعِيلَ وَٱلْيَسَعَ وَيُونُسَ وَلُوطًا ۚ وَكُلًّا فَضَّلْنَا عَلَى ٱلْعَٰلَمِينَ
87. وَمِنْ ءَابَآئِهِمْ وَذُرِّيَّٰتِهِمْ وَإِخْوَٰنِهِمْ ۖ وَٱجْتَبَيْنَٰهُمْ وَهَدَيْنَٰهُمْ إِلَىٰ صِرَٰطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ
“And We gave to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob – all [of them] We guided. And Noah, We guided before; and among his descendants, David and Solomon and Job and Joseph and Moses and Aaron. Thus do We reward the doers of good. And Zechariah and John and Jesus and Elias – and all were of the righteous. And Ishmael and Elisha and Jonah and Lot – and all [of them] We preferred over the worlds. And [some] among their fathers and their descendants and their brothers – and We chose them and We guided them to a straight path.”
In Surah Sad Ayat 48-50 Allah (SWT) says,
48. وَٱذْكُرْ إِسْمَٰعِيلَ وَٱلْيَسَعَ وَذَا ٱلْكِفْلِ ۖ وَكُلٌّ مِّنَ ٱلْأَخْيَارِ
49. هَٰذَا ذِكْرٌ ۚ وَإِنَّ لِلْمُتَّقِينَ لَحُسْنَ مَـَٔابٍ
50. جَنَّٰتِ عَدْنٍ مُّفَتَّحَةً لَّهُمُ ٱلْأَبْوَٰبُ
“And remember Ishmael, Elisha and Dhul-Kifl, and all are among the outstanding. This is a reminder. And indeed, for the righteous is a good place of return Gardens of perpetual residence, whose doors will be opened to them.”
It is said by Ibn Kathir that after Elijah’s passing, dissension rose, events took momentum and sins increased everywhere. Eventually the number of tyrants increased in size and sought to kill the Prophets.
There are sources that claim that Al-yasa had been hiding with Elijah in a cave in Mount Qasium to escape from the king of Ba’alabak. When Elijah passed, he then succeeded him as Prophet.
The story of Al-yasa is told in more detail in the Hebrew scriptures and the Bible, but across all texts one thing remains consistent which we can learn from is Al-Yasa character.
He really loved and was committed to guiding his people on the right path. He was righteous and consistently showed humility, passion and did the right thing. This is something we can all strive for and practice.
Allah says in Surah Baqarah,
“”Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in God, the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah (obligatory charity); [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and ailment and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.” (Quran 2:177)”