Surah Al-Anbiya Ayat 90 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 90
So We responded to him, and We gave to him John, and amended for him his wife. Indeed, they used to hasten to good deeds and supplicate Us in hope and fear, and they were to Us humbly submissive.
So We listened to him: and We granted him Yahya: We cured his wife’s (Barrenness) for him. These (three) were ever quick in emulation in good works; they used to call on Us with love and reverence, and humble themselves before Us.
So We accepted his prayer and bestowed upon him John, and We made his wife fit (to bear a child). Verily they hastened in doing good works and called upon Us with longing and fear, and humbled themselves to Us.
So We answered his call, and We bestowed upon him Yahya (John), and cured his wife (to bear a child) for him. Verily, they used to hasten on to do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and used to humble themselves before Us.
Then We heard his prayer, and bestowed upon him John, and adjusted his wife (to bear a child) for him. Lo! they used to vie one with the other in good deeds, and they cried unto Us in longing and in fear, and were submissive unto Us.
So We responded to him and bestowed on him Yahya, (John) and We set his (Zechariah’s) spouse righteous for him; surely they used to vie swiftly (with one another) in charitable deeds and to invoke Us, being desirous of (reward) and in awe; and they were submissive to Us.
We answered him––We gave him John, and cured his wife of barrenness- they were always keen to do good deeds. They called upon Us out of longing and awe, and humbled themselves before Us.
ہم نے اس کی دعا کو قبول فرما کر اسے یحيٰ (علیہ السلام) عطا فرمایا اور ان کی بیوی کو ان کے لئے درست کر دیا۔ یہ بزرگ لوگ نیک کاموں کی طرف جلدی کرتے تھے اور ہمیں ﻻلچ طمع اور ڈر خوف سے پکارتے تھے۔ اور ہمارے سامنے عاجزی کرنے والے تھے
Quran 21 Verse 90 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Al-Anbiya ayat 90, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(21:90) So We accepted his prayer and bestowed upon him John, and We made his wife fit (to bear a child). Verily they hastened in doing good works and called upon Us with longing and fear, and humbled themselves to Us.
86. “Cured his wife”: We cured his wife of sterility. As “You are the best of the Inheritors”, I shall have no grief even if You do not give me any child. For further details, please see (Surah Aal-Imran, Ayat 37-41) and (Surah Maryam, Ayat 2-14) and the E.Ns thereof.
87. It will be worthwhile to reiterate the reasons why the stories of the Prophets have been cited in this Surah.
(1) The story of Prophet Zacharias has been cited to impress on the minds that all the Prophets were human beings and servants of Allah and had no tinge of Godhead in them. They had no power to bestow children upon others because they themselves had to pray to Allah for children for themselves.
(2) The story of Prophet Jonah has been cited to show that even a great Prophet like him did not go unnoticed when he committed an error in regard to Allah’s message. But when he repented, Allah, by His grace, delivered him alive from the belly of the fish.
(3) The mention of Prophet Job has been made to show that even Prophets were put to hard trials and afflictions and even they had to beg Allah to restore them to health, not to speak of curing others of diseases.
Along with these, the other important thing which is meant to be impressed is that all the Prophets believed in the doctrine of Tauhid. That is why they begged and prayed to One Allah alone to fulfill their needs and requirements. Though they met with trials, Allah helped them and granted their prayers in supernatural and miraculous ways.
The tafsir of Surah Anbiya verse 90 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Anbiya ayat 89 which provides the complete commentary from verse 89 through 90.
Quick navigation links
Share the message of the Qur’an