Surah As-Saff Ayat 4 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 4
Indeed, Allah loves those who fight in His cause in a row as though they are a [single] structure joined firmly.
Truly Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure.
Allah indeed loves those who fight in His Way as though they are a solid wall cemented with molten lead.
Verily, Allah loves those who fight in His Cause in rows (ranks) as if they were a solid structure.
Lo! Allah loveth them who battle for His cause in ranks, as if they were a solid structure.
Surely Allah loves the ones who fight in His way in rank (s) as if they were a compact structure.
God truly loves those who fight in solid lines for His cause, like a well-compacted wall.
Quran 61 Verse 4 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah As-Saff ayat 4, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(61:4) Allah indeed loves those who fight in His Way as though they are a solid wall cemented with molten lead.
3. First, it shows that only those believers are blessed with Allah’s good pleasure and approval, who are prepared to fight in His way, disregarding every kind of danger. Secondly, that Allah likes an army which has three characteristics:
(1) It fights in Allah’s way with full understanding, and does not fight for a cause disapproved by Allah. (2) It is not undisciplined, but is well-organized and wellarrayed for battle. (3) It offers stiff resistance to the enemy as though it were a solid cemented structure. Then, this last quality is by itself highly meaningful. No army can stand in the battle array like a solid structure unless it has the following characteristics.
(1) Complete agreement in the faith and the objective, which should smite soldiers and officers in a well-knit body.
(2) Confidence in one another sincerity, which cannot be created unless everybody is genuinely sincere in his aim and free from impure motives; otherwise the severe test of war will not allow anyone’s insincerity to remain hidden, and when confidence is lost, the members of the army start suspecting instead of trusting one another.
(3) A high standard of morality without which neither can the officers and soldiers of the army have love and respect for each other, nor can they remain immune from mutual clashes and conflicts.
(4) Love of the common objective and a firm resolve to achieve it, which should inspire, the whole army with an invincible spirit of gallantry, devotion, and self-sacrifice, so that it may actually face the enemy like a solid cemented structure in the battlefield.
Such were the foundations on which a powerful military organization was raised under the leadership of the Prophet (peace be upon him). Mighty powers of the day clashed with it and were annihilated. No power of the world then could dare face it for centuries.
The tafsir of Surah As-Saff verse 4 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Saff ayat 1 which provides the complete commentary from verse 1 through 4.
Quick navigation links