Surah Fussilat Ayat 14 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 14
[That occurred] when the messengers had come to them before them and after them, [saying], “Worship not except Allah.” They said, “If our Lord had willed, He would have sent down the angels, so indeed we, in that with which you have been sent, are disbelievers.”
Behold, the messengers came to them, from before them and behind them, (preaching): “Serve none but Allah.” They said, “If our Lord had so pleased, He would certainly have sent down angels (to preach). Now we reject your mission (altogether).”
When the Messengers (of Allah) came to them from the front and from the rear, saying: “Do not serve any but Allah”; they said: “Had our Lord so willed, He would have sent down angels. So we deny the Message you have brought.”
When the Messengers came to them, from before them and behind them (saying): “Worship none but Allah” They said: “If our Lord had so willed, He would surely have sent down the angels. So indeed! We disbelieve in that with which you have been sent.”
When their messengers came unto them from before them and behind them, saying: Worship none but Allah! they said: If our Lord had willed, He surely would have sent down angels (unto us), so lo! we are disbelievers in that wherewith ye have been sent.
As the Messengers came to them from before them (Literally: from between their hands) and from behind them, (saying), “Do not worship anyone except Allah “, they said, “If our Lord had (so) decided, indeed He would have sent down Angels; so surely we are disbelievers in what you have been sent with.”
when their messengers came to them, from all angles, saying, “Serve no one but God,” they said, “If our Lord had wished, He would have sent down angels. We do not believe in the message with which you have been sent.”
ان کے پاس جب ان کے آگے پیچھے سے پیغمبر آئے کہ تم اللہ کے سوا کسی کی عبادت نہ کرو تو انہوں نے جواب دیا کہ اگر ہمارا پروردگار چاہتا تو فرشتوں کو بھیجتا۔ ہم تو تمہاری رسالت کے بالکل منکر ہیں
Quran 41 Verse 14 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Fussilat ayat 14, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(41:14) When the Messengers (of Allah) came to them from the front and from the rear, saying: “Do not serve any but Allah”; they said: “Had our Lord so willed, He would have sent down angels. So we deny the Message you have brought.”
18. This sentence can have several meanings:
(1) That the Messengers continued to come to them one after the other.
(2) That the Messengers tried in every way to make them understand the truth and did not leave any stone unturned to bring them to the right path.
(3) That the Messengers came to them in their own country as well as in the adjoining countries.
19. That is, if Allah had disapproved of our religion, and had willed to send a messenger to us to keep us away from it, He would have sent the angels. As you are not an angel but a man like us, we do not believe that you have been sent by God, and sent for the purpose that we give up our religion and adopt the way of life that you are presenting. The disbelievers’ saying that they deny, what you have been sent with, was only sarcastic. It does not mean that they believed him to have been sent by God and then denied what he said. But this is a sarcastic expression of the type that Pharaoh had uttered before his courtiers about the Prophet Moses (peace be upon him): This messenger of yours, who has been sent to you, seems to be utterly mad. (Surah Ash-Shuara, Ayat 27). For further explanation, see (Surah YaSeen, ayat 15) note 11.
The tafsir of Surah Fussilat verse 14 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Fussilat ayat 13 which provides the complete commentary from verse 13 through 19.
Quick navigation links
Share the message of the Qur’an