Surah Ghafir Ayat 35 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 35
Those who dispute concerning the signs of Allah without an authority having come to them – great is hatred [of them] in the sight of Allah and in the sight of those who have believed. Thus does Allah seal over every heart [belonging to] an arrogant tyrant.
“(Such) as dispute about the Signs of Allah, without any authority that hath reached them, grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of Allah and of the Believers. Thus doth Allah, seal up every heart – of arrogant and obstinate Transgressors.”
those who contend regarding Allah’s Signs without any evidence that might have come to them. That is exceedingly loathsome to Allah and to those that believe. Thus does Allah seal the heart of everyone who is proud and high-handed.
Those who dispute about the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, without any authority that has come to them, it is greatly hateful and disgusting to Allah and to those who believe. Thus does Allah seal up the heart of every arrogant, tyrant. (So they cannot guide themselves to the Right Path).
Those who wrangle concerning the revelations of Allah without any warrant that hath come unto them, it is greatly hateful in the sight of Allah and in the sight of those who believe. Thus doth Allah print on every arrogant, disdainful heart.
The ones who dispute concerning the signs of Allah without any all-binding authority that has come up to them, it is greatly (detested) (Literally: great in detesting) in the Reckoning of Allah and in the (sight) of the ones who have believed. Thus Allah stamps upon (i.e., impresses or sets on) every heart of (every) proud potentate.
those who dispute God’s messages, with no authority given to them, are doing something that is loathed by God and by those who believe. In this way God seals up the heart of every arrogant tyrant.
جو بغیر کسی سند کے جو ان کے پاس آئی ہو اللہ کی آیتوں میں جھگڑتے ہیں، اللہ کے نزدیک اور مومنوں کے نزدیک یہ تو بہت بڑی ناراضگی کی چیز ہے، اللہ تعالیٰ اسی طرح ہر ایک مغرور سرکش کے دل پر مہر کردیتا ہے
Quran 40 Verse 35 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Ghafir ayat 35, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(40:35) those who contend regarding Allah’s Signs without any evidence that might have come to them. That is exceedingly loathsome to Allah and to those that believe. Thus does Allah seal the heart of everyone who is proud and high-handed.
52. It so appears that the next few sentences are an addition by Allah and an explanation of the words of the Believer of the people of Pharaoh.
53. That is, Allah allows only those people to go astray who possess the following three qualities:
(1) They transgress all limits in their evil doing, and then develop such a taste for it that they do not feel inclined to accept any invitation to reform their morals.
(2) Their permanent attitude in respect of the Prophets is characterized by doubt and suspicion. The Prophets of God may bring any clear signs before them, yet they doubt their Prophethood and view with suspicion those truths which they present with regard to Tauhid and the Hereafter.
(3) They try to resist the revelations of the Book of Allah with crooked arguments instead of considering them rationally, and these objections are neither based on any sound reason nor on the authority of a revealed Book, but from the beginning to the end their only basis is obstinacy and stubbornness.
When a group of the people develops these three evils, Allah hurls it into the deep pit of Hell fire where from no power can then rescue them.
54. That is, the seal is not set on the heart of anybody without a reason. This seal of curse is set only on the heart of the one who is filled with arrogance and spirit of violence and tyranny.
The tafsir of Surah Muminun verse 35 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Muminun ayat 30 which provides the complete commentary from verse 30 through 35.
Quick navigation links
Share the message of the Qur’an