Do you want to know a secret that can bring you happiness?
Well, if you read the title you can already guess what the answer is going to be.
Happiness come from giving, not buying and having. There is compelling scientific research that has been done that shows being charitable really does make you happier.
The study measured happiness of lottery winners to that of the average population and found that once basic necessities were covered (having food and shelter) anything extra had a negligible effect on well being.
The truth is having ‘things’ is a nicety that provides temporary and dwindling pleasure.
In this study the researchers found “there is a positive association between helping others and life expectancy,” he adds, “perhaps because helping others reduces stress.”
Zakat – How much should you donate
Zakat contributions are in most countries is completely voluntary but Islam views alms giving as a part of a Muslim’s religious obligation.
Now, it is usually based off your total income and value on all your possessions. Customarily this number is 2.5% (or 1/40). That’s means if your annual savings is $100,000 you should be able to comfortably donate $2,500 to people who are in need. (source – how much zakat should one give)
There are other forms of charity as well (see quotes 24 and 25). But the general rule of thumb here is 2.5% is minimum and you should always strive to give the most you possibly can.
Zakat is often given during Ramadan because rewards multiply during this holy month, but it is not necessary you do so. You can make zakat daily or pay larger sum at the end of the year.
Quotes About Charity In Islam
1, Ibn Abbas reported: The Prophet (pbuh) said, “He is not a believer whose stomach is filled while the neighbor to his side goes hungry.”
Source: al-Sunan al-Kubrá 19049
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani
2. Sa’d ibn Ubadah reported: I said, “O Messenger of Allah, my mother has died. Shall I give charity on her behalf?” The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Yes.” I said, “Which charity is best?” The Prophet said, “A drink of water.” (Click here to be redirected to charity water organization).
Source: Sunan al-Nasa’i 3664
Grade: Hasan (fair) according to Al-Albani
3. They will ask thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: “Whatever of your wealth you spend, shall (first) be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof.” (Quran Surah Al Baqarah 2:215)
4. “Charity in secret, quiets the wrath of God and takes away one’s sin as the water puts out the fire and keeps away seventy kinds of calamities.” (Charity In Quran 2:271)
5. The life of this world is but a play and a passing delight: but if you believe (in God) and are conscious of Him, He will give you your recompense. And withal, He does not demand of you (to sacrifice in His cause all of) your possessions.(Quran 4:36-38)
6. Who is it that will offer up unto God a goodly loan, which He will amply repay? For, such (as do so) shall have a noble reward. (Surah Al Hadid 57:11)
7. “Be steadfast in prayer, practice regular charity, and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship)” (2:43).
8. “Charity is for those in need, who, in Allah’s cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot move about in the land, seeking (For trade or work)” (2:273).
9. “Allah will deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of charity. For He loves not creatures ungrateful and wicked” (2:276).
10. “Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve”(Holy Quran 2:277).
11. Charity is an effective cure, and the actions of people in their present life will be before their eyes in the next life. – Hazrat Ali (AS)
See Related Post: 100 Of The Best Imam Ali Quotes
12. “Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. Allah is free of all wants, and He is Most-Forbearing” (2:263).
13. “O you who believe! Do not cancel your charity by reminders of your generosity or by injury, like those who spend their substance to be seen of men, but believe neither in Allah nor in the Last Day (2:264).
14. “If you disclose acts of charity, even so it is well, but if you conceal them, and make them reach those really in need, that is best for you. It will remove from you some of your (stains of) evil” (2:271).
15. Defend your faith (in Allah) with the help of charity. Protect your wealth with the aid of Zakat. Let the prayers guard you from calamities and disasters.(Imam Ali AS)
16. The Prophet (peace & blessings of Allah be upon him) said,”The best charity is that which is practiced by a wealthy person. And start giving first to your dependents.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 507
17. “The one who looks after a widow or a poor person is like a Mujahid (warrior) who fights for Allah’s Cause, or like him who performs prayers all the night and fasts all the day.” [Sahih Al-Bukhari] Volume 7, Book 64, Number 265
18. Once Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said to his wife: “0 ‘A’ishah! Never turn away any needy man from your door empty-handed. 0 ‘A’ishah! Love the poor; bring them near to you and Allah will bring you near to Him on the Day of Resurrection”. (Muhammad Encyclopedia of Seerah, VOL. VIII, p. 151)
19. Do not feel ashamed if the amount of charity is small because to refuse the needy is an act of greater shame. (Imam Ali from Nahjul Balagha)
20. “Charity does not decrease wealth, no one forgives another except that Allah increases his honor, and no one humbles himself for the sake of Allah except that Allah raises his status.”Sahih Muslim 2588
21. Indeed, Allah does not do injustice, [even] as much as an atom’s weight; while if there is a good deed, He multiplies it and gives from Himself a great reward. (Charity Ayat From Quran 4:40)
22. “…the salah (prayer) is a light, and charity is a proof, and patience is illumination, and the Qur’an is a proof either for you or against you. Every person starts his day as a vendor of his soul, either freeing it or causing its ruin.” (40 Hadith Nawawi #23)
23. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Save yourself from hellfire by giving even half a date-fruit in charity.” – Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 498
24. The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: “Every Muslim has to give in charity.”
The people then asked: “(But what) if someone has nothing to give, what should he do?”
The Prophet replied: “He should work with his hands and benefit himself and also give in charity (from what he earns).”
The people further asked: “If he cannot find even that?”
He replied: “He should help the needy who appeal for help.”
Then the people asked: “If he cannot do (even) that?”
The Prophet said finally: “Then he should perform good deeds and keep away from evil deeds, and that will be regarded as charitable deeds.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 524)
25. “Your smile for your brother is charity.”Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Volume 3, Number 98
These two quotes (24 & 25) show charitable acts are not just confined to the giving of money. We can impact the world with a smile or donating our time through volunteering. Simply put unselfish acts of kindness is form of charity.
26. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “The believer’s shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity.” – Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 604
27. “When a Muslim spends something on his family intending to receive Allah’s reward it is regarded as sadaqa for him.” (Sahih Bukhari – Book 64 – Hadith 263)
28. Abu Huraira (Radhi Allahu ‘anhu) reported: Allah’s Messenger said, When a man dies, his acts come to an end, but three, recurring charity or knowledge (by which people) benefit, or a pious son, who prays for him (for the deceased). [Sahih Muslim – Book 13 – Hadith 4005]
“Good works protect from evil fates.
Charity in secret extinguishes the wrath of the Lord,
maintaining family ties increases life span,
and every good deed is charity.
The people of good in the world are the people of good in the Hereafter, and the people of evil in the world are the people of evil in the Hereafter. And the first to enter Paradise are the people of good.” (Al-Mu’jam al-Awsat 6252 Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani)
30. “You will not attain righteousness till you spend in charity of the things you love.”
(Quran Chapter 3 verse 92)
If you enjoyed this article, please consider joining our newsletter. We want to continue sharing Islamic teachings, duas, and quotes that will empower you. We encourage you to unsubscribe at any given time if you feel we don’t live up to that promise. Jazakallah.