Tawakkul is an Arabic word for the Islamic concept of putting full reliance and trust in Allah’s plan.
The Quran speaks about this, success is for the believer who obeys God’s commandments.
It’s easy for a Muslim to be faithful when things are going well, the true test is placed when Allah has challenged a person in his or her life, will they keep their faith in God or turn their backs? When things don’t go our way it’s easy to turn bitter or jealous and start making looking over our shoulder to see what our neighbor has got. This has become especially toxic in today’s times with the entire world being braggadocious on Facebook and Twitter.
We must guard our minds and what we take in much more carefully as it is having an effect on how we perceive things. It distorts our perception of reality.
Now, a word of caution, some people take a tawwakul to mean they won’t strive to be the best versions of themselves. For example, the amount of money you make in life is ‘pre-destined’ according to some of my Muslim friends so they use it as a crutch to play video games and as an excuse to not try and better themselves by reading books and learning. To me this is the wrong interpretation.
Tawwakul means to accept your fate, the good and the bad. My interpreation is you should try to start your own business but don’t become attached to whether it succeeds or fails as this can set up the wrong expectations. The outcome or result that is not up to you to decide. What you must do is put forth the best possible effort, keep a positive attitude, to be happy and content with what Allah has given you the opportunity for. If it works, “alhamdulillah”, if it doesn’t “alhamdulillah”.
The following are Tawakkul quotes to provide inspiration and motivation to keep your trust in Allah.
Hadith on reliance:
Anas ibn Malik reported:
A man said, “O Messenger of Allah, should I tie my camel and trust in Allah, or should I leave her untied and trust in Allah?” The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Tie her and trust in Allah.”
Grade: Hasan (Darussalam)
Jami At-Tirmidhi English: Vol. 4, Book 11, Hadith 2517
Arabic reference: Book 37, Hadith 2707
Trust In Allah Quotes:
- Said two men from those who feared [to disobey] upon whom Allah had bestowed favor, “Enter upon them through the gate, for when you have entered it, you will be predominant. And upon Allah rely, if you should be believers.” Surah Maidah Ayat 23
- When you trust Allah in any decision then you don’t give it a second thought.
- Allah becomes sufficient for you the very moment you put your entire trust in him.
- Wa tawakkal ‘alal laah; wa kafaa billaahi Wakeelaa.
And rely upon Allah; and sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs.
Surah Ahazab Ayat 3.
- And seek help through patience and prayer, and indeed, it is difficult except for the humbly submissive [to Allah]. Surah Baqarah Ayah 45.
- Umar (May Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) saying: “If you all depend on Allah with due reliance, He would certainly give you provision as He gives it to birds who go forth hungry in the morning and return with full belly at dusk”. [At-Tirmidhi].
- A relationship with Allah is the most important relationship you can have. Trust him and everything will always turn out fine.
- My success depends on the quality (in terms of relevance, wisdom, propriety, tactics, strategy and sincerity) and quantity I put in, not on the material results they appear to produce, regardless of what kind of good or bad circumstances I happen to encounter.
- “If Allah should aid you, no one can overcome you; but if He should forsake you, who is there that can aid you after Him? And upon Allah let the believers rely.” (3:160)
- “Do not lose hope, nor be sad. You will surely be victorious if you are true in Faith.” And do not mix the truth with falsehood or conceal the truth while you know [it].” (3:129)
- Have complete trust in Allah and have a strong action bias.
- Your prayers will be answered. Be patient and trust the timing of Allah.
- Trust your lord solely, people usually have double faces.
- Tawakkal is that precious quality which brings peace of mind in this world and entrance in Jannah without the judgement in the hereafter.
- And rely upon the Ever-Living who does not die, and exalt [ Allah ] with His praise. And sufficient is He to be, with the sins of His servants, Acquainted (25:58).
- [He is] the Lord of the East and the West; there is no deity except Him, so take Him as Disposer of [your] affairs (73:9).
- If you trust in Allah then nothing is impossible for you.
- Allah has put me in this world temporarily for a test and all of my good and bad circumstances are part of the test.
- The real success is attaining the pleasure of Allah, not the results in this world. Whether my efforts bear any visible result in this world or not, I must continue on my course steadfastly.
- Take a deep breath and let it go. Put your trust in Allah and let him guide you.
- Don’t drag the past with you. Let it be a school to teach you but don’t beat yourself up over what happened. Similarly, don’t drag the future towards, let it unfold as it will. Stay happy with what you have, enjoy the moment and love the process.
- Our hearts get purified when We put trust in Allah.
- Allah knows best what is best for us and at what time so We believers should rely upon Allah and by having patience. indeed Allah’s plans are best.
- “What is the extent of ‘tawakkul’? Imam Ali ibne Musa al-Ridha (a.s.): That you do not fear anyone once you have relied on Allah!”
- It is You (alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help.
- “Tawakkul is having complete trust that Allah’s plan is the best plan.” Yasmin Mogahed
- “Verily, His command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, ‘Be!’ and it is!” Surah Yasin Ayat 82
- Do you realize how powerful trust in God is? Nothing can overpower you when you have unshakeable trust in Him.
- Just because you haven’t seen your Dua come true, doesn’t mean it hasn’t been heard. Allah is all-hearing. Be patient.
- No way out? but Remember if you have tawakkul he will create a way just like he did for Musa a.s with an Army behind him & a Sea in front!
- Worry ends where faith begins.
- And why should we not rely upon Allah while He has guided us to our [good] ways. And we will surely be patient against whatever harm you should cause us. And upon Allah let those who would rely [indeed] rely.” (14:12)