Surah Ahqaf Ayat 8 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 8
Or do they say, “He has invented it?” Say, “If I have invented it, you will not possess for me [the power of protection] from Allah at all. He is most knowing of that in which you are involved. Sufficient is He as Witness between me and you, and He is the Forgiving the Merciful.”
Or do they say, “He has forged it”? Say: “Had I forged it, then can ye obtain no single (blessing) for me from Allah. He knows best of that whereof ye talk (so glibly)! Enough is He for a witness between me and you! And he is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”
Do they claim that the Messenger himself has fabricated it? (If so), tell them: “If I have fabricated it, then you have no power to protect me from Allah’s chastisement. He knows well the idle talk in which you indulge. He suffices as a witness between me and you. He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.”
Or say they: “He (Muhammad SAW) has fabricated it.” Say: “If I have fabricated it, still you have no power to support me against Allah. He knows best of what you say among yourselves concerning it (i.e. this Quran)! Sufficient is He for a witness between me and you! And He is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.”
Or say they: He hath invented it? Say (O Muhammad): If I have invented it, still ye have no power to support me against Allah. He is Best Aware of what ye say among yourselves concerning it. He sufficeth for a witness between me and you. And He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.
Or even they say, “He has fabricated it.” Say, “In case I have fabricated it, then you do not possess for me anything from Allah. He knows best what you confide among yourselves He suffices as an EverPresent Witness between me and you, and He is The Ever-Forgiving, The Ever-Merciful.”
or they say, ‘He has invented it himself.’ Say [Prophet], ‘If I have really invented it, there is nothing you can do to save me from God. He knows best what you say amongst yourselves about it; He is sufficient as a witness between me and you; He is the Most Forgiving, the Most Merciful.’
Quran 46 Verse 8 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Ahqaf ayat 8, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(46:8) Do they claim that the Messenger himself has fabricated it? (If so), tell them: “If I have fabricated it, then you have no power to protect me from Allah’s chastisement. He knows well the idle talk in which you indulge. He suffices as a witness between me and you. He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.”
9. This interrogative tone expresses great surprise and amazement. It means to say: Are these people so shameless that they accuse Muhammad (peace be upon him) of fabricating the Quran himself? Whereas they know that it cannot be his word and their calling it magic is by itself an express proof that they regard it as an extraordinary word, which cannot be of human composition even according to themselves.
10. As it was quite evident that their accusation was baseless and motivated by stubbornness, there was no need to present arguments to refute it. Therefore, only this much was regarded as a sufficient response: If I have really fabricated something and committed a grave crime by imputing it to Allah, as you accuse me of, you will not be able to rescue me from Allah’s punishment. But if it is really Allah’s Word, and you are rejecting it by bringing false accusations, Allah Himself will deal with you. For the reality is not hidden from Allah, and He is sufficient to decide between the truth and falsehood. If the whole world calls some one a liar, although he is truthful in Allah’s knowledge, the final decision will be in his favor. On the country, if the whole world regards some one as truthful though he is a liar in the knowledge of Allah, he will be regarded as a liar in the final judgment. Therefore, do not confuse things but pay heed to your final end.
11. Here, this sentence gives two meanings:
(1) It is in fact Allah’s mercy and His forbearance that these people are surviving in the world, although they have no hesitation in declaring Allah’s Word as falsehood; otherwise if a merciless and cruel god had been the master of this universe, he would not have allowed such insolent people to live even for a moment in the world.
(2) O unjust people, if you give up your stubbornness even now, the door of God’s mercy is still open for you, and whatever misdeeds you may have committed heretofore can be forgiven.
The tafsir of Surah Ahqaf verse 8 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Ahqaf ayat 7 which provides the complete commentary from verse 7 through 9.
Quick navigation links