Surah Fussilat Ayat 47 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 47
To him [alone] is attributed knowledge of the Hour. And fruits emerge not from their coverings nor does a female conceive or give birth except with His knowledge. And the Day He will call to them, “Where are My ‘partners’?” they will say, “We announce to You that there is [no longer] among us any witness [to that].”
To Him is referred the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment: He knows all): No date-fruit comes out of its sheath, nor does a female conceive (within her womb) nor bring forth the Day that (Allah) will propound to them the (question), “Where are the partners (ye attributed to Me?” They will say, “We do assure thee not one of us can bear witness!”
The knowledge of the Hour rests solely with Him. Not a fruit comes forth from its sheath, nor does any female conceive nor give birth to a child but it is in His knowledge. On that Day He will call out to them: “Where are those associates of Mine?” They will answer: “We have declared to You that none of us can bear witness to that.”
(The learned men) refer to Him (Alone) the knowledge of the Hour. No fruit comes out of its sheath, nor does a female conceive (within her womb), nor brings forth (young), except by His Knowledge. And on the Day when He will call unto them (polytheists) (saying): “Where are My (so-called) partners (whom you did invent)?” They will say: “We inform You that none of us bears witness to it (that they are Your partners)!”
Unto Him is referred (all) knowledge of the Hour. And no fruits burst forth from their sheaths, and no female carrieth or bringeth forth but with His knowledge. And on the day when He calleth unto them: Where are now My partners? they will say: We confess unto Thee, not one of us is a witness (for them).
To Him is referred the Knowledge of the Hour. And in no way do any of the products (i.e., fruits) come out (Literally: go out) of their sheaths, and in no way does any female conceive or bring forth, except with His Knowledge. And upon the Day He will call out to them, “Where (now) are My associates?” they will say, “We declare (Literally: notify) to You, in no way is there a constant witness among us.”
Knowledge of the Hour belongs solely to Him and no crop comes out of its sheath, nor does any female conceive or give birth, without His knowledge. On the Day He asks them, ‘Where are My partners?’ they will answer, ‘We admit to You that none of us can see [them]’:
Quran 41 Verse 47 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Fussilat ayat 47, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(41:47) The knowledge of the Hour rests solely with Him. Not a fruit comes forth from its sheath, nor does any female conceive nor give birth to a child but it is in His knowledge. On that Day He will call out to them: “Where are those associates of Mine?” They will answer: “We have declared to You that none of us can bear witness to that.”
61. The Hour: the Hour of Resurrection, i.e. the Hour when the evildoers will be punished for their evil and the grievances of the oppressed good people will be redressed.
62. By this the listeners have been made to realize two things:
(1) That not only of Resurrection but the knowledge of all unseen things is reserved for Allah alone; there is no other knower of the unseen.
(2) That God Who possesses the detailed knowledge of the most minor things cannot remain unaware of the acts and deeds of anybody.
Therefore, no one in His kingdom should act fearlessly, with impunity. Only according to this second meaning the sentence becomes relevant to what follows. If one studies the following sentences, the theme that immediately becomes obvious is: Don’t concern yourselves about finding our the date of the coming of Resurrection; you should, however, be anxious about the consequences of your deviations you will have to bear when it comes. This same thing had the Prophet (peace be upon him) once said to a person, who asked him the date of the coming of Resurrection. All the major collections of Hadith contain a commonly reported tradition to the effect: Once when the Prophet (peace be upon him) was on a journey, a man on the way shouted his name from a distance. The Prophet (peace be upon him) asked what he wanted to say. He said: When will Resurrection come? The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: It must come, in any case! What preparations have you made for it?
63. That is, now we have realized that what we had in our minds was absolutely wrong. Now none among us is of the view that there is another one who is also your associate in Godhead. The words “we announce” show that on the Day of Resurrection the disbelievers will be asked again and again, on every occasion: In the world you went on refusing to believe what the Messengers of God said: now say who was in the right: they or you? And the disbelievers will every time confess that the truth indeed was that which the Messengers preached and they themselves were in the wrong because they forsook the knowledge and persisted in their own ignorance.
64. That is, in their utter hopelessness they will look around to see if they could find any one of those whom they used to serve and worship in the world, who could come to their rescue and save them from God’s torment, or at least have their punishment reduced, but they will find no helper on any side.
The tafsir of Surah Fussilat verse 47 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Fussilat ayat 46 which provides the complete commentary from verse 46 through 48.
Quick navigation links