Surah Nahl Ayat 36 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 36
And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], “Worship Allah and avoid Taghut.” And among them were those whom Allah guided, and among them were those upon whom error was [deservedly] decreed. So proceed through the earth and observe how was the end of the deniers.
For We assuredly sent amongst every People a messenger, (with the Command), “Serve Allah, and eschew Evil”: of the People were some whom Allah guided, and some on whom error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth).
We raised a Messenger in every community (to tell them): “Serve Allah and shun the Evil One.” Thereafter Allah guided some of them while others were overtaken by error. Go about the earth, then, and observe what was the end of those who rejected the Messengers, calling them liars.
And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): “Worship Allah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taghut (all false deities, etc.i. e. do not worship Taghut besides Allah).” Then of them were some whom Allah guided and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied (the truth).
And verily We have raised in every nation a messenger, (proclaiming): Serve Allah and shun false gods. Then some of them (there were) whom Allah guided, and some of them (there were) upon whom error had just hold. Do but travel in the land and see the nature of the consequence for the deniers!
And indeed We have already sent forth in every nation a Messenger (saying), “Worship Allah and avoid the Taghût.” (i.e., false gods) Then (some) of them Allah guided; and errancy came true against (some of) them. So travel in the earth, then look into how was the end of the beliers.
We sent a messenger to every community, saying, ‘Worship God and shun false gods.’ Among them were some God guided; misguidance took hold of others. So travel through the earth and see what was the fate of those who denied the truth.
ہم نے ہر امت میں رسول بھیجا کہ (لوگو!) صرف اللہ کی عبادت کرو اور اس کے سوا تمام معبودوں سے بچو۔ پس بعض لوگوں کو تو اللہ تعالیٰ نے ہدایت دی اور بعض پر گمراہی ﺛابت ہوگئی، پس تم خود زمین میں چل پھر کر دیکھ لو کہ جھٹلانے والوں کا انجام کیسا کچھ ہوا؟Quran 16 Verse 36 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Nahl ayat 36, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(16:36) We raised a Messenger in every community (to tell them): “Serve Allah and shun the Evil One.” Thereafter Allah guided some of them while others were overtaken by error. Go about the earth, then, and observe what was the end of those who rejected the Messengers, calling them liars.
32. That is, you are not justified in excusing yourselves for these sins, saying that it is the will of God for We sent Messengers to every ummat, who told the people in plain words that they should worship Us and none else, and should not follow and obey taghut. Besides this, We have already warned you that We do not approve of your deviations. Why should you then put forward this excuse for your deviations? Do you mean to say that We ought to have sent such Messengers as would have forced you to follow the right way instead of bringing you to it by preaching? Please refer to (Surah Al-Anaam, ayat 112) note 80 for the distinction between God’s will and God’s approval.
33. That is, Whenever a Messenger came to a people, they were divided into two groups.
(1) Those who accepted the message (and that, too, could not have been possible except with the will of Allah).
(2) Those who rejected it and stuck to their deviation – For explanation see (Surah Al-Anaam, ayat 39) note 28.
34. That is, you can see for yourselves the lesson of human history. It is this that the people, who rejected the message, incurred the scourge of Allah like Pharaoh and the people of Pharaoh, while Prophet Moses (peace be upon him) received the blessings of Allah.
The tafsir of Surah An-Nahl verse 36 by Ibn Kathir is unavailable here.
Please refer to Surah Nahl ayat 35 which provides the complete commentary from verse 35 through 37.
Quick navigation links