Surah Furqan Ayat 32 in Arabic Text
Here you can read various translations of verse 32
And those who disbelieve say, “Why was the Qur’an not revealed to him all at once?” Thus [it is] that We may strengthen thereby your heart. And We have spaced it distinctly.
Those who reject Faith say: “Why is not the Qur’an revealed to him all at once? Thus (is it revealed), that We may strengthen thy heart thereby, and We have rehearsed it to thee in slow, well-arranged stages, gradually.
The disbelievers say, “Why has not the entire Qur’an been sent down to this man all at nce?” -Well, this has been done to impress it deeply on your mind, and (for the same object) We have sent it down piecemeal by degrees.
And those who disbelieve say: “Why is not the Quran revealed to him all at once?” Thus (it is sent down in parts), that We may strengthen your heart thereby. And We have revealed it to you gradually, in stages. (It was revealed to the Prophet SAW in 23 years.).
And those who disbelieve say: Why is the Qur’an not revealed unto him all at once? (It is revealed) thus that We may strengthen thy heart therewith; and We have arranged it in right order.
And the ones who have disbelieved have said, “If only the Qur’an had been sent down upon him as one complete whole.” Thus, that We may make firm your heart-sight thereby, and We have recited it in a (distinct) recitation.
The disbelievers also say, ‘Why was the Quran not sent down to him all at once?’ We sent it in this way to strengthen your heart [Prophet]; We gave it to you in gradual revelation.
اور کافروں نے کہا کہ اس پر قرآن سارا کا سارا ایک ساتھ ہی کیوں نہ اتارا گیا اسی طرح ہم نے (تھوڑا تھوڑا کرکے) اتارا تاکہ اس سے ہم آپ کا دل قوی رکھیں، ہم نے اسے ٹھہر ٹھہر کر ہی پڑھ سنایا ہے
Quran 25 Verse 32 Explanation
For those looking for commentary to help with the understanding of Surah Furqan ayat 32, we’ve provided two Tafseer works below. The first is the tafseer of Abul Ala Maududi, the second is of Ibn Kathir.
(25:32) Those who disbelieve say: “Why was the Qur’an not revealed to him all at once?” It was revealed thus that We may fully impress it on your mind; (and for the same end) We have revealed it gradually (according to a scheme) in fragments.
44. As the disbelievers of Makkah considered this objection to be very strong, they repeated it over and over again. The Quran also has cited it with its answer at several places. For instance, see (Surah An-Naml, ayat 82-87) note 101-106 and (Surah Bani Israil, ayat 106) note 119. Their question implied: Had the Quran been really the Word of Allah, it would have been sent as a complete book all at once; for Allah has the knowledge of everything and every human affair. Thus it is obvious that nothing is being sent down from above; but this man himself fabricates all its themes or gets these from other people or other books.
45. So that by it We may strengthen your heart and imbue it with courage. The words are comprehensive. This concise sentence contains the following explanation why the Quran was revealed piecemeal by degrees:
(1) So that the Prophet (peace be upon him) may commit it to memory perfectly and recite it to his people, who are illiterate, rather than present it in a written form.
(2) So that its teachings and messages may be impressed deeply on the minds.
(3) So that the way of life it teaches, may be followed with complete conviction, which would not be possible if all the commandments and the whole system of life had been sent down all at once.
(4) So that the hearts of the Prophet and his followers may be imbued with courage during the conflict between the truth and falsehood. This required that the divine guidance and messages of encouragement should be revealed as and when needed according to the practical situation. Obviously, this could not have been possible if these had been sent down all at once. This also showed that Allah had not left His Messenger alone amidst persecution to counter all sorts of resistance and opposition after appointing him to the mission, but He Himself was watching the struggle with concern and guiding His Prophet through every difficulty by direct communion in every critical situation.
32. And those who disbelieve say: “Why is not the Qur’an revealed to him all at once” Thus, that We may strengthen your heart thereby. And We have revealed it to you gradually, in stages. 33. And no example or parable do they bring, but We reveal to you the truth, and the better explanation thereof. 34. Those who will be gathered to Hell on their faces, such will be in an evil state, and most astray from the path.
Allah tells us about the many objections raised by the disbelievers, their stubbornness, and how they spoke of things which were none of their concern. They said:
(“Why is not the Qur’an revealed to him all at once”) meaning, why was this Qur’an, which was revealed to him, not sent down all at one time, as the previous Books, the Tawrah, Injil, Zabur and other Divine Books Allah answered them, telling them that it was revealed in stages over twenty-three years, according to events and circumstances, and whatever rulings were needed, in order to strengthen the hearts of the believers, as He says:
(And (it is) a Qur’an which We have divided (into parts)…) (17:106). Allah says:
(that We may strengthen your heart thereby. And We have revealed it to you gradually, in stages.) Qatadah said it means: “We have explained it.” `Abdur-Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslam said it means: “We have given its interpretation.”
(And no example or similitude do they bring,) This means no arguments or doubts,
(but We reveal to you the truth, and the better explanation thereof.) They do not say anything in an attempt to oppose the truth, but We respond to them with the truth of that same matter, more clearly and more eloquently than anything they say. Abu `Abdur-Rahman An-Nasa’i recorded that Ibn `Abbas said, “The Qur’an was sent down all at once to the first heaven on Laylatul-Qadr (the Night of Power), then it was revealed over twenty years.” Allah says:
(And no example or similitude do they bring, but We reveal to you the truth, and the better explanation thereof.) and:
(And (it is) a Qur’an which We have divided (into parts), in order that you might recite it to men at intervals. And We have revealed it by stages) (17:106). Then Allah tells us about the terrible state of the disbelievers when they are raised on the Day of Resurrection and gathered into Hell:
(Those who will be gathered to Hell on their faces, such will be in an evil state, and most astray from the path. ) In the Sahih, it is reported from Anas that a man said, “O Messenger of Allah, how will the disbeliever be gathered on his face on the Day of Resurrection” The Prophet said:
(The One Who caused him to walk on his two feet is able to make him walk on his face on the Day of Resurrection.)
Quick navigation links